Friday, November 18, 2011

Orange Is...

I saw this posted on the OSU Alumni Association's facebook page and thought it was worth sharing with my OSU family. It brought tears to my eyes because it rang so true and I know every O-State alum who reads this will feel the same way.
A big thanks to Cody Stites, who I don't know, but after reading what he wrote with such passion for OSU, I know I'd like.

Orange is that day that you moved into the dorms as a freshman with lines for the elevator. It’s meeting those friends that would stick with you for life. It’s remembering those dorm buildings, even though they may not be there anymore.
It’s wearing orange the Friday before the first game & every Friday after that. It’s KURT BUDKE, MIRANDA SERNA, Barry Sanders, John Smith, Garth Brooks, Mike Gundy, Eddie Sutton… it’s you and me. Orange is putting your arm around the shoulder of the stranger next to you to sing the Alma Mater. It’s making the switch to saying “Power” instead of “Orange.” It’s remembering Lewis Field & admiring Boone Pickens Stadium. It’s knowing that it’s left hand up to make an “S.” Orange is when it’s good for a Cowboy First Down and Ten. Orange is Pistols Firing – Touchdown Oklahoma State. It’s “...O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A Oklahoma STATE” no matter where you are when the state song is played.
It’s the big smile on your face when you walk past the orange fountain. It’s going back to the place you worked in college & remembering it as the best job you ever had even though it paid the least. It’s a cabinet full of Joe’s cups. Orange is knowing that it’s time to go home when you hear “New York, New York” or “Shoulda Been a Cowboy.” Orange is the one you tried to let down easy & the one you’ll never forget. Orange is wanting to get out of Stillwater for four years & spending the rest of your life wanting to go back.


Proud and Immortal,
Bright shines your name.
Oklahoma State,
We herald your fame.
Ever you’ll find us,
Loyal and true.
To our Alma Mater
O – S – U

Hearing the words "OSU" and "plane crash" in the same sentence, again - for the second time in my life, completely breaks my heart. It wasn't fair 10 years ago when it happened, and it's not fair now. I didn't know either of the coaches or the couple flying the plane, but I do know that anyone who made such an impact on such an incredible university must have been pretty special. My heart aches for their families. I know that the whole OSU family is sending thoughts, prayers and lots of love their way.
I know we will never forget and I know we will get through this. We always do. Because we're Cowboys. Because we are Orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment